Summer Bike Safety Tips
Summer is a great time to ride a bike. It is a fun exercise and a way to hang out with friends. But before you hop on and start pedaling, review the following tips to ensure you have a safe and fun ride:
Before you start your ride:
- Protect Your Head – always wear a bike helmet. Never wear a used or worn-out helmet. If the helmet is too small, it is time to purchase a new one.
- Ride a bike the right size for you so you can control it properly.
- Check the tires – make sure they have the correct amount of air and that the brakes work.
- Wear bright colors so motorists can see you.
- Have lights or reflectors on the front and back of the bike.
Know the road rules as bicyclists must follow the same traffic rules as car drivers:
- Stop at red lights, and stop signs, use signals when turning and follow the lane markings.
- You should ride with the flow of traffic.
- You must yield to pedestrians.
- Be alert when passing parked cars as someone may open their door.
It is best to ride on the street, but if you do find yourself riding on a sidewalk, here are some guidelines:
- Stay alert for cars entering and exiting driveways.
- Alert pedestrians when coming behind them; tell them you are about to pass them on the left or the right.
Have fun and stay safe as you bike this summer!
Carmen Phillippi, APRN-CNP
Comanche Family Care